Sunday, April 8, 2012

Notes on Healthcare

Afterthoughts: All I have to say is thank god for Sampson. And for Justin. When you’re sick the last thing you want is to go it alone or have some stranger help you, especially in an unfamiliar place with an unfamiliar language. So thank god for my friends. Thanks to Sampson for everything he did to get me to the hospital and back out. And thanks to Justin for taking care of me until Sampson came.

Healthcare in Ghana has its shortcomings (like many healthcare systems). The places and clinics I have been lack the shine and modernity of developed America, but in some ways I find it more responsive and proactive than what I'm used to back home. And the system lacks the crazy maze of red tape and paperwork that wastes so much time and resources in America. Which I don't understand at all because we use computers and many clinics in Ghana do not...how does that work? So, kudos to Ghana for that efficiency.

The only other healthcare system I've experienced was at Otago University in New Zealand. And even they score higher on my healthcare rating scale than America. So, if you find that I am in the hospital again, please, rest assured that I am being taken care of. Maybe the nurses need to work on their bedside manners and listening to their patients, but the doctors are knowledgeable, there is good medicine, and frankly I like being fed fish soup with rice for a hospital dinner more than I like being fed some microwaved airplane meal with jello at a hospital in the midwest.

The only thing that hasn't changed from all the places I've been is the waiting. Unless you're dying, you will always have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment